FAFSA questions?

We're here to help.arrow

VA Benefits

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program
  • Chapter 33 The Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon
  • John Fry Scholarship
  • Chapter 35 Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

To learn more about these programs, eligibility requirements and how to apply, visit www.va.gov.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website, www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Non-VA Military Benefits

  • Tuition Assistance (TA) for Active Duty and Reservists through their military branch and the Department of Defense (DoD). Please follow the Application Process outlined below to apply for Tuition Assistance.

The Elmira College Office of the Registrar verifies enrollment in order for students to receive their VA educational benefits. Students who wish to utilize VA or DoD education benefits must ensure proper certification.

Application Process

To apply for VA benefits and submit the necessary application materials to Elmira College:

  • Complete an online application with the VA
    • Chapter 1606, 30 - New students should use VA Form 22-1990.Transfer students should use VA Form 22-1995.
    • Chapter 33 Veterans should use VA Form 22-1990. Transfer students should use Form 22-1995. Starting in 2009, active duty service members may be eligible to transfer their Post 9/11 GI Bill® entitlement to dependents and/or spouses. Note: The DoD determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. To transfer, change, or revoke, a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) must go to MilConnect first. If the DoD approves the TOE, a spouse or dependent can then apply for benefits with Form 22-1990E (available on VA.gov).
    • Chapter 35 - Use VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance) for new applicants and VA Form 22-5495 for transfer students.
    • Chapter 31 - Your VA Rehabilitation Case Manager must provide you with VA form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status).
    • For Military Tuition Assistance (TA), each service has its own criteria for eligibility and application process and restrictions. You can refer to the Military.com website.
    • Determine what benefit is best for you based on your needs. Call 1-888-GIBILL1 (442-4551) to speak with an Educational Service Officer (ESO) prior to enrollment. Students must receive approval from their ESO, military counselor, or Service branch. You may also contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs via their secure email service.
  • Save and print a copy of your application for VA educational benefits before submitting it to the VA. Send a copy of the application paperwork to the Elmira College Office of the Registrar at registrar@pylock.com.
  • All VA beneficiaries should provide the Elmira College Office of the Registrar with a copy of their Award letter or for Chapter 33 Post-9/11, a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This document will be mailed from the VA after the application has been processed and the educational benefits have been approved.
  • National Guard beneficiaries should provide the Elmira College Office of the Registrar with a copy of their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) provided by the unit.
  • All Active Duty, Reserve, and Veterans must also provide Elmira College with a copy of their Military Transcript. Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy affiliates can obtain transcripts from Joint Services Transcript (JST). Air Force affiliates can obtain it from the Air Force.
  • Veterans / family members of the beneficiary receiving educational benefits must provide The Office of the Registrar a copy of the DD214 (a Member-4 Copy).
  • Complete the online application to Elmira College and submit any additional required documents to Elmira College.
  • Apply for financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you've never applied, you will first need to obtain a U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). Use Elmira College's school code, 002718, when completing these materials.

A full list of tuition and fees is available here, and the DoD Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Refund Policy and Schedule is available here. The estimated price of books and other course materials is $1,150 for full-time students.

Net Price Calculator

It is the student's responsibility to make sure tuition and fees are paid in full.

Enrollment Certification Regulations and Student Responsibility

Students must be registered for classes in order to be certified with the VA.

Students are expected to make satisfactory academic progress toward completion of a degree. Any changes in enrollment, including change of major, change of course, course deletions, and complete or partial withdrawals, must be reported to The Office of the Registrar.

Failure to comply with the official school withdrawal procedure may affect both past and future benefits.

For in-depth information about education benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, eligibility requirements and current pay rates, please visit VA.gov.

Military Leave Policy

If you are called to active duty, inform the Office of the Registrar and your academic advisor. Failure to comply could result in you incurring a debt. For detailed information concerning Students Called to Active Military Service, please refer to Elmira College Undergraduate Catalog.


If you need additional assistance, call toll-free 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with an Educational Service Officer (ESO) or at VA.gov.

You may also contact the Elmira College Office of Financial Aid, (607) 735-1728, or The Office of the Registrar, (607) 735-1895 or registrar@pylock.com.

Share This Page